Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chapter 7


I woke up and got ready for work like I did every day. Today I had to be to work early than normal. Apparently a bridal party booked the spa earlier so they could have the whole place to themselves.
I hadn't slept very well last night and today was going to be a very long day. I would more than likely come home and nap after my shift.


I headed downstairs for my usual breakfast and coffee. The first thing I noticed was that there was no coffee in the air. I looked around and my grandma wasn't down here. It looked like it had the night before. No dishes were lying about. Breakfast nor coffee had been made. I was a little worried because my grandma was always and early riser. She had been doing this for several years and no matter what she had always had breakfast made.


I headed back upstairs to find her sleeping quietly. I double checked to make sure she was still breathing. I was worried about her. I didn't know whether to wake her up or let her sleep. Before I left the room I checked her forehead and felt for a fever just to make sure she wasn't coming down with something.
Everything seemed normal. She looked so peaceful that I couldn't bring my self to wake her. I headed downstairs and made my something to eat before I headed to work.


The bridal party arrived on time. I checked them in on the computer and then lead them all back to their rooms. Everything went smoothly and they were all extremely happy. We even managed to get some bookings for some of the girls in the future. All in all it was a great day.
The store had just opened up for regular business when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I ignored it because I wasn't aloud to be on my cell phone while I was working.
When it buzzed a second time in my pocket I decided to check who it was. The number I didn't quiet recognize but very few people had my number. Anyone would just leave a message and I'd call them back after work. It had to be important if they were trying to reach me and not the answering machine.


"Hello." I said as I put the phone to my ear.
"Is this Miss Scarlet Capuche?" A friendly female voice said through the phone.
"Yes this is her."
"Hi. We have you're grandmother here at Grandview Hospital. We need you to get here as soon as possible."
Worried filled me. I began shaking.
"Wha....what happened?"
"Honey I'm not sure all the details. The doctor just asked me to call you."
"Ok I'm on my way."
I headed into my boss's office and told her the situation. She didn't have a problem with me leaving early. As I headed outside I realized it would take me forever to get there on the bus so I called Damen.


He gladly picked me up and we drove to the doctor's office. I confided in him and told him that I feared Alzheimer's was setting in. He did his best to try and comfort me. The tears hadn't starting falling yet but I feared they would at any moment. Horrible thoughts floated through my head as I thought of the worse possible things that could have happened.
The lady on the phone said they had my grandma there but she hadn't said if she were alive or dead. At the same time she didn't say she had her body. So I needed to quit worrying so much.


When we arrived I rushed to the front desk and gave my grandma's name. She gave me her room number and I almost ran to it. Damen followed closely behind.
When I reached the room a doctor was standing outside of the door.
"Are you Scarlet?"
"What happened to her? Is she alright?"
"Calm down. She's ok. She lost her balancing and fell down the stairs. Luckily it was only abou five stairs. There's no broken bones just bruises. There is a sprain in her right ankle."
Relief flooded me. I was glad to hear that she for the most part was ok.
"I've examined her a little more than usual and I see signs of Alzheimer's. I'm going to prescribe some medicine that should slow it down a little."
I knew it. The way she had been acting showed all the signs.


"I'll get you some pamphlets that tells you the normal changes so you both can read up on it. She'll need to stay in a wheelchair for about two weeks to make sure her ankle heals. After that she'll need to start using a cane. It's best she stays away from stairs from now on."
I thanked the doctor and he rushed away. His pager started beeping like crazy.


I stood there stareing through the window at my grandma. This was all too much. I had just lost my parents and now I was starting to lose my grandma. I swallowed hard trying to prevent the tears. I couldn't walk in upset. I had to be strong for her.
Damen walked up next to me and put his arm around me.
"Everything will be ok." His voice was reassuring.
I took a couple more deep breaths and then we headed into the bedroom.


I knocked on the door and slowly opened it.
"Hey grandma it's me."
"Oh dear come on in."
I sat down nex to the bed and Damen stood by it for a minute.
"So nice of you to come Damen. Thanks for bringing Scarlet."
"It's not a problem at all Mrs. Capuche."
"Oh Damen honey how many times do I have to tell you. Call me Agnes."
"Sorry Agnes."
Given the circumstances grandma was in a pretty good mood.
The doctor came back in the room and handed me a pile of packets and papers. Then he told us it was ok to go.


Damen helped her into a wheelchair. She wasn't happy about being stuck in a wheelchair for two weeks and she fussed about not being able to walk. He pushed her out of the hospital and helped her into the car. When we arrived he helped her again.
I was so glad that Damen was here to help me. I wouldn't have been able to do it by myself.


"Are you hungry grandma." I asked as we entered the house."
"No dear. I'm a little tired. Could you be a dear Damen and help me onto the couch."
As Damen helped her I headed upstairs to grab her a pillow and a blanket.
After I triple checked to make sure she was comfortable I headed outside with Damen.


I sat on the bench and let out a huge sigh as I began to rub my temples. I had a killer migraine starting to form. Damen sat down next to me.
"Everything's going to be ok."
I couldn't speak. If I did the tears would start to form. We sat there quietly for a few minutes. He scouted next to me and wraped his arm around me. It was nice to just sit there quietly while he comforted me.
I was glad I wasn't alone in all of this like I had been when my parents died. Everyone avoided me. They didn't know what to say and they didn't want to have to deal with me if I broke down. But Damen didn't shy away. He didn't avoid me. He comforted me.
I stood up unable to sit any longer and out of nowhere the tears started flowing.


Damen got up and immediatly pulled me into his arms. He let me cry on his shouldars. He rubbed my back trying to soothe me.
It took me a minute before I could stop the tears. He stood there quietly until he knew I was ok. He pulled back but still kept me in his arms.
"You're so beautiful."
I couldn't help but to laugh and look away.
"You're just saying that. I'm a complete mess right now. My makeup is all ruined and my eyes are all red."


He pulled me closer to his body and began kissing me. The sparks flew between us like it had the first time. My heart began beating faster as he slipped his tongue into my mouth. Our tongues danced in rythym.
Too soon he pulled away. I wanted more. I wanted so badly for him to follow me upstairs to my bedroom but I knew now wasn't the right time. I was upset and I wasn't thinking clearly and I didn't want our first time together to be because os pity or anything but out of love.
"Call me if you need anything and I'll be here in fifteen minutes."
"Ok. Thank you for all of your help Damen. I really appreciate it."
I smiled sweetly to him and he returned it.
"It's not a problem."
I watched as he headed towards his car. I waved goodbye as he pulled away.

6 comments:

  1. Scarlet just has very little luck. She has Damon though, and I hope he stays as true and helpful as he has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she seems to. Damen will continue to be there as much as he can.

      Delete
  2. Poor old Granny. She looked so mad being in that wheelchair. At least she is okay, well for the most part. I hate to see what is going to happen to Granny. I don't want Damen to be the bad guy, but part of me thinks he may be playing a part in Granny's downfall. What I don't know is why he would be doing it.

    I think Scarlet and Damen are moving too fast and I don't see good things coming, even though he is sweet to her, I also feel that he is pushing himself onto her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several directions I can take the story. Not sure if I want to stay true to the story or twist it up a bit.
      Scarlet has had bf's in the past but nothing serious. She is falling for Damen and fast. He craves her and needs her and may not stop at anything to get her. Something about her draws her in. We will just have to see how the story goes to know if Damen's the cause of Gran's downfall or if it's just nature taking it's course.

      Delete
  3. I'm with Kate, I want to like Damen, but this being the story it is, I can't help but worry he's going to be the big bad wolf in disguise, and Scarlet is just rushing into his arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to like Damen. He's very charming and romantic. If he is the big bad wolf maybe the love they will grow to share will be enough to keep him from hurting her.

      Delete